Mott Manufacturing Ltd. has an interesting history dating back almost 100 years. A company known as Goold, Shapely & Muir established the company’s original foundation in the early 1900’s with products such as fire ranger look-out towers, farm tractors, and windmills. The Great Depression claimed this company in the early 1930’s.
H. E. Mott Company Ltd. was incorporated from the remains of Goold, Shapely, & Muir and it continued to manufacture similar products. Mott’s present day focus on steel case goods began during World War II when it manufactured steel cabinetry for radar equipment shipped to Britain.
The company moved to its former Wadsworth Street Brantford facility in 1958 when it installed a continuous metal preparation, coating, and baking process. During these years the company added kitchen cabinets to its product lines and in 1961 it began manufacturing steel laboratory furniture for the Canlab furniture division.
The company became Mott Manufacturing Ltd. when Mr. L.A. Crews purchased it. The relationship with Canlab resulted in increased production capacity dedicated to steel laboratory furniture. During this period, a ready-to-assemble product line of steel kitchen cabinets was also developed, manufactured and shipped to Canada’s Northwest Territories, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.
The new millennium begins with Mott focusing on the North American laboratory furniture market, and the company has been acquired by Bill Stover (Executive Chairman) and Ed Seegmiller (President/CEO).
The company moved into its new Brantford facility that features a state-of-the technology powder coating line.
Ed Seegmiller entered into an acquisition agreement with Bill Stover for the purchase of Bill’s shares of Mott over the next few years. Consequently, Ed was appointed as President & CEO, and Bill became Executive Chairman. Ed then brought Mario Di Fonte, Vice President of Sales & Marketing on as a partner to continue the success of the company.
To offer one-stop solutions to our customers Mott acquired a new plant dedicated to the manufacture of wood casework for laboratories. Production in our new wood facility began in April 2009. Mott is recognized by Preferred by Nature formerly know as NEPCon, as certified for Forest Stewardship Council Chain-Of-Custody, and has been quality certified to AWI “Premium Grade” in the national Quality Certification Program.
Mott increased the size of its Brantford facility in order to support increased production requirements.
Mott once again expanded its production facility adding approximately 45% additional manufacturing space. Mott invested in new state of the art equipment and completely reorganized the factory floor layout to streamline the manufacturing process, improve safety and efficiency, increase capacity and reduce waste.
After 21 years of service with Mott, Bill Stover retired as Executive Chairman of the Board. Ed Seegmiller and Mario Di Fonte are committed to the continued growth and prosperity of Mott in the laboratory furniture marketplace.
Mott commemorates their 60th anniversary.
60 years at the service of their customers. 60 years in which their top priority has always been their customer’s satisfaction. 60 years of world-class manufacturing. 60 years of commitment to quality and craftsmanship. 60 years of commitment to technology. 60 years of customization, knowledge, and expertise. 60 years of the continuous improvement contributions of their employees, suppliers, distribution partners, customers, and the professionals who specify their product. 60 years focusing on the present and the future.